This article explains about the kits available within the Faculty of Dance which can be used for delivering hybrid teaching.
What is hybrid teaching?
Hybrid teaching is where some participants of the class are in the physical space and some are connecting remotely, and all should be able to see and hear each other.
Participants can include students and teachers, and as such, our hybrid kits can enable:
- when the teacher is unable to physically be in the space, but can still deliver sessions to students in the space;
- where one or more student is unable to attend the physical class but can participate remotely.
What is in a Hybrid Kit?
In each kit there is:
- a laptop (Mac or Windows) – which will support the use of Zoom, Teams, or Adobe Connect,
- a high-quality webcam and tripod,
- an ethernet cable to provide a reliable and stable internet connection,
- cables to connect the laptop to the TV in the space so remote participants can be seen and heard.
What are the differences between a Hybrid Kit and a Teaching Kit?
Hybrid Kits allow for live and instant feedback from remote and in-building participants. Classes delivered in this way can also be recorded and shared via eStream after the session. Hybrid kits can be complex to set up, so are set up in the space by a member of the AV Support team. There is only a small number available.
Teaching kits are designed to provide asynchronous or reviewable access to in-building classes where some participants are unable to attend. Classes are uploaded to eStream shortly after. Teaching Kits are very easy to use and are designed to be set up by the teacher, but the AV Support team are able to provide support if required. See the Teaching Kit article for further details.
How do I book a Hybrid Kit?
Because we will set these up for you, and the set up can vary depending on the type of session being run, we need to ensure that a member of the team can be timetabled to support the session. Because of this, you must complete the form below for every occasion you’d like to have the use of a Hybrid Kit.
We will endeavour to support every request, however, please place bookings at least a working day in advance of when you need it.
Can I use my own laptop to do the same thing?
More or less, yes you can. However, there are certain advantages when using a Hybrid Kit:
- Higher quality web-cam on a tripod which can be more flexibly positioned in the space,
- A tried and tested set up which is reliable yet flexible,
- A technician to help set up the kit and ensure things are working as well as possible.
What’s the quality like?
We will update this article with examples soon.