This article explains the steps to take in order to upload content to eStream as a student, either for submission as an assessment or inclusion in a Moodle forum.
Prepare your media
The first step is to make sure you have your file(s) ready.
There are a range of resources on this knowledgebase to help you create, edit, and optimise content:
- Do’s and Don’ts of Recording (at home)
- Smartphone cinematography: using mobile devices to create video content
- Preparing videos for eStream
- Making video content
Uploading to Moodle Forums
PLEASE NOTE: You can find a video tutorial on uploading to Moodle Forums here
- Ensure you have your file(s) ready. We would also recommend you use the Google Chrome browser.
- Go to the Moodle course forum where you want to add your content. Follow the course specific instruction to add a new topic or reply to an existing one.
- From the “Message” area, select the “Add Planet eStream item” icon.
- Select the “Upload” button.
- Press the “Upload Video or Audio Files” button.
- Select the file that you’d like to upload, and click Open.
- You’ll then be prompted to enter some details, we’d suggest unticking the “Use Filename for Title” checkbox. In the title field, give the file a sensible name – usually something like “Your Name – Module Code: Task name”.
- Change the Type dropdown to Student Submission. If you’d like, you can tag the correct course from the relevant Programme fields. Ensure that the Publishing Policy is set to “Private“.
- Press the “Confirm” button.
- On the new screen that loads, press the “Start upload” button.
- Be patient, and wait until the file completes the upload (depending on the filesize, it may take some time). When it’s complete, you’ll see a preview in the forum, or a coming soon message in the forum – this means the video is being optimised for online streaming.
- It may take a while to convert (depending on the file size and the number of other recordings being added). You do not have to wait for it to convert, however, you will have to press the “Post to Forum” button at the bottom of the screen.
- You’ll be redirected to your post. If you’re still seeing the “Coming soon” screen, after a few moments (once it’s been transcoded), your video/audio file should be available to stream, and you should be to refresh the page and see it.
- If you are having any problems with recordings not transcoding, please see the Troubleshooting eStream uploads articles, or use the live chat function from the bottom of this page. Alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the details of the forum and we’ll look into it as soon as we can.
Uploading to Moodle Assessments
PLEASE NOTE: You can find a video tutorial on uploading to Moodle assessments, here.
- Ensure you have your assessment file ready (see the Preparing your media section above). We would also recommend you use the Google Chrome browser.
- Go to the Moodle course and assessment page.
- Click the “Add submission” button.
- Read and then tick the Submission declaration checkbox.
- Slightly further down the page, in the section entitled “This area is for video or audio file upload only. Note – you can only upload ONE Video or Audio file“, click the Browse button.
- Select the video or audio file you’d like to add as your assessment
- You’ll see that the file name is now included in the file name area. Click the Upload button.
- A progress bar will appear showing how much of the upload has occurred. Please be patient and do not leave the page. When the file is fully uploaded a message will appear:
- (NOT ALWAYS REQUIRED) If the assessment requires additional files (for example, a written supporting document), please add this file to the File Submission section. Please note that you should NOT upload your audio or video file to this section.
- You are now ready to hand in your assessment! To do so, click the Save changes button at the bottom of the page.
- Your assessment is now almost complete, and you should see either:
- a thumbnail of your recording with a play button where you can stream the recording – if so, everything is great and your recording has successfully been uploaded and you don’t need to do anymore. Go and treat yourself to a cup of tea!
- or, a message saying that your file is “Coming soon“- this means your recording has been added to a processing queue and is currently converting. This process may take between a few minutes and an hour or so (depending on its length and how many other recordings are in the queue). You can leave the page and check again in half an hour or so to see if the conversion has been successful (and shows the .
- If you see an error message saying something like “Sorry, the submission has failed to convert into a streaming media format“, you should contact AV Support immediately and we’ll help get this sorted. You can find details of how to contact us on our Help & assistance page, or between 9am and 6pm Monday to Friday, via our Live chat widget at the bottom right of this page (and every other page on this knowledgebase).
Uploading to eStream directly
Students can upload to eStream directly, however, no one else will be able to view the uploaded content – unless it is embedded in another location.
See the instructions on uploading to eStream directly, but please be aware students only have the “Private” option.
Getting additional help
Please see the Help & assistance page for ways of contacting the AV Support team to get additional help.